Search This Blog

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 1 - Test Drive

I'm not a doctor. I'm not a lawyer. I'm a professional writer who is trying to put her skills to good use...finally. I'm a person who was diagnosed with Celiac Disease - two years ago - who is trying to cope with the baggage that comes with such a diagnosis. 


"Okay," you may say: "some people have real problems."


I TOTALLY agree. I have friends and family who are fighting more monumental battles. However, this is my battle and I find strange, indescribable solace in sharing my story with you. I decided to blog for two reasons:


1. I frequently get questions about my dietary issues.
2. I'm hoping I can truly help someone else.


I don't mean to be militant, but people who don't know celiac/gluten-free can really benefit from more education about the disease. It's not an "allergy,". and it is not simply "sensitivity." Celiac sprue is a bodily autoimmune response to the protein, gluten, which gives dough it's elasticity...yummy, hard-to-replicate, damnable elasticity. Gluten is in pizza, and gluten is in beer. Gluten hurts my body. I miss pizza, beer, bagels, and baguettes. Such is life...my life, anyway. I'm thankful that wine is gluten-free, but I'll expound on that in future blogs.


I'm aiming to take you on my journey. I'll take you through my diagnosis, my adaptation, my symptoms (sorry - I have to get somewhat descriptive here), and my downright wanting to throw in the towel...all because of this disease. I will share some restaurant tips, recipes, travel notes, and reviews of food I've tried. I'm hoping that by sharing my story I can help you to work with your health care practitioner to nail down a solid diagnosis. 


Ask your friends if they - or anyone they may know - is avoiding wheat and gluten. I'll bet you get some affirmative responses. You may know people with frequent stomach and digestive problems who cannot figure out what's wrong. You may have been "sick" for a long time, discouraged, because you cannot pinpoint the things that are making you unwell. Believe me: I've been there.


Let's be friends, and let's learn from one another.



2 comments:

  1. Great blog, Maura!
    I'll be putting a link on mine so that I can easily keep track of what you're talking about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Candy. I'll keep track of yours as well. Awww...blogger love!

    ReplyDelete